Thoughts, musings and stories

All thoughts and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of anyone else, nor those of any organisation to which I belong.

My stories are the copyright of Avril King and infringements will have consequences.

Monday 3 March 2014

FLOODS




Last week, I went to Somerset and, no matter how many times you see it in the media, nothing prepares you for the reality of the flooding.


The people I met in Burrowbridge were typically stoical, but you could see the despair behind their eyes.

A man whose new house is flooded told me that Sikhs and Muslims have sent groups to help them but there’s been no sign of the Christian groups like the Red Cross or Salvation Army who are all too ready to make appeals for foreign disasters but are conspicuous by their absence when needed in this country.
I met some of the Sikhs and they have what used to be called the British “roll up your sleeves and get down to it” attitude.
Bravo, men. I salute you.

© Avril King

No comments:

Post a Comment